A major winter storm is expected to hit Long Island later this evening and carry on until early Tuesday. This long-duration winter storm is expected to bring heavy snowfall accumulations of 6 to 12 inches with wind gusts as high as 50 mph. The National Weather Service has already issued a Winter Storm Warning for late Sunday night through late Monday night, warning that travel will be all but impossible during blizzard-like conditions on Monday.
Our snow plows, sanders and snow blowers are tuned up and ready to roll. We have hundreds of tons of salt prepared, and our staff is standing by. We are confident that we are ready to tackle the upcoming winter storm.
You can help us do the best possible job. Here’s how:
- Keep all cars in your driveway and off the road. The plows can then clear your street “curb-to-curb”. If you can’t get them all off the street, then try to park all cars only on one side of the street. That way, we can plow the middle and one side of the road. Once we have plowed to the curb, move your cars to the clear side and we will come back to plow to the other curb. This enables our crews to do a more effective job. Remember, having clear streets is essential to maintaining safe and efficient passage for police cars, ambulances and fire engines.
- We all hate having snow plowed back into our driveway aprons. One tip for minimizing or eliminating this problem is to pile the snow you shovel from your driveway to the right of the driveway (when facing the street from the house).
- Be careful shoveling snow. Because of the cold, you may not notice strains, pains or even frostbite. Work slowly and rest every few minutes. It’s not a speed contest and it’s not worth a heart attack.
STORM DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES
- Any downed wire should be treated as though it is a live wire. Therefore, do not approach or drive over it, or touch anything it’s contacting.
- To report an outage or downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 800-490-0075 or use PSEG web chat feature at psegliny.com. You can also view outage information by going to https://mypowermap.psegliny.com
- To report outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more download PSEG Long Island mobile app.
- To report and receive status updates via text, text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or visit them online at psegliny.com/outages
- For downed trees or obstacles blocking the road, call the Village at 516-295-5770. We will keep the phone line staffed until the storm passes.
EMERGENCY CALLS should be made to 911. Calling the Fourth Precinct directly actually slows down the response because they route