Long Island is under a winter weather advisory today, as rain this morning is expected to change to snow this afternoon and evening. Snow accumulations are expected to be from 1-3 inches. Residents are encouraged to use caution while driving and walking on slippery roads and sidewalks. Our snow plows, sanders and snow blowers are tuned up and ready to roll. We are confident that we are ready to tackle tonights winter storm.
You can help us do the best possible job. Here’s how:
- Keep all cars in your driveway and off the road. The plows can then clear your street “curb-to-curb”. If you can’t get them all off the street, try and park all cars only on one side of the street. That way, we can plow the middle and one side of the road. It enables our plows to do a more effective job.
- Pile the snow you shoveled from your driveway to the right (when facing the street from the house) so that you minimize the chance of having it plowed back into the driveway apron.
- EMERGENCY CALLS, should be made to 911. Calling the fourth precinct directly actually slows down the response because they route your call to 911. You can also call Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department at 516-569-4411
- Be careful shoveling snow. Because of the cold, you may not notice strains, pains or even frostbite. Work slowly and rest every few minutes. It’s not a speed contest and it’s not worth a heart attack.
- Check in on elderly and handicapped neighbors to make sure that they are safe and warm. The Village maintains a list of handicapped and elderly residents who may need special assistance. If you know someone who should be on the list and is not, let us know.
- Remember, having clear streets is essential to maintaining safe and efficient passage for police cars, ambulances and fire engines.