Summer is in full swing, with Tropical Storm Fay expected to bring heavy rain and high winds that can reach up to 45 mph starting at noon today. These powerful winds have the potential to blow down trees and power lines. They are also capable of causing serious personal injury and death from flying debris. Heavy downpours of up to 2 inches are also expected and local flooding is possible.
Please be cautious and remember:
- In an EMERGENCY, call 911. For fire and medical emergencies only, you can also call the Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department at 516-569-4411.
- Avoid unnecessary outdoor activities. Falling tree limbs and other wind-blown debris can cause serious injuries or death. The safest place to weather the storm is indoors.
- Remove any loose objects outside, such as lawn furniture, planters, portable BBQ’s and empty garbage cans, to a safer location or secure them.
- If you lose power call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Emergency number: 1-800-490-0075 or text “OUT” to PSEGLI (773454).
- Any downed wire should be treated as though it is a live wire. Therefore, do not approach or drive over it, or touch anything it’s contacting.
- Report a downed wire immediately to 911 or call PSEG at 1-800-490-0075. Do not text or email PSEG for downed wires. Doing that only slows down the response.
- For downed trees or obstacles blocking the road, call the Village at 516-295-5770. We will keep the phone line staffed until the storm passes.