Starting Friday April 16th at 10:15 pm and continuing until Monday April 19th at 3:30 am, both the Long Beach branch and the Far Rockaway branch will be taken out of service to allow for a signal cutover in Valley Stream to occur which is part of our Hurricane Sandy restoration efforts.
While this work is being performed, train service along the Long Beach and Far Rockaway branches will be suspended in both directions.
Along the Long Beach branch:
- Going westbound, customers from Long Beach thru Centre Avenue will board buses, then transfer to westbound trains at Lynbrook. Buses will depart up to 1 hour earlier than usual train times.
- Going eastbound, customers should board Freeport-bound trains and exit at Lynbrook for bus service to stations Centre Avenue thru Long Beach. Please allow for up to 1 hour of additional travel time.
Along the Far Rockaway branch:
- Going westbound, customers at Far Rockaway thru Locust Manor will board buses, then transfer to westbound trains at Jamaica Station. Buses will depart up to 1 hour earlier than usual train times.
- Going eastbound, customers will board trains stopping at Jamaica and exit for bus service to stations Locust Manor thru Far Rockaway (buses will stop at Valley Stream). Please allow for up to 1 hour of additional travel time.
- We will also be taking advantage of this outage to conduct switch work in and around the Far Rockaway station, so any residents in the immediate vicinity may hear some additional noise from our right of way.
- West Hempstead branch trains will operate express to and from Jamaica station with no stops at Valley Stream. All trains will operate express between Jamaica and Westwood stations.
We encourage you to check Long Island Rail Road schedules here for a list of the full impacts and changes.
*Work is weather dependent, dates are subject to change to take advantage of favorable conditions