We have noticed that our streets and parking lots are becoming littered with discarded gloves, masks and sanitizing wipes. This is not only unsightly, but it also increases the possible spread of the COVID-19; the very disease that these precautionary items are trying to protect against. These items are also being left inside shopping carts, the Village Park and along neighborhood streets. They can potentially infect anyone who touches them and the Village employees who have to clean them up.
Knowing how to properly remove and discard safety gear is very important.
- Grasp the outside of one glove at the wrist. Do not touch your bare skin.
- Peel the glove away from your body, pulling it inside out.
- Hold the glove you just removed in your glove hand.
- Peel off the second glove by putting your fingers inside the glove at the top of your wrist.
- Turn the second glove inside out while pulling it away from your body, leaving the first glove inside the second.
- Dispose of the gloves safely in a nearby waste receptacle. It’s recommended that this be done over a waste basket for immediate disposal.
- Wash your hands thoroughly immediately after removing gloves, or use hand sanitizer.
Used masks and wipes should also be promptly discarded in a waste basket. If you use a sanitizing wipe to clean your car door handle, steering wheel, shift knob or your hands inside your car, carry a Ziploc bag to hold the used wipes until you get to your destination where you can safely discard them. Dropping them on the ground (even when you think no one is looking) is definitely the wrong thing to do.
Help us keep our Village safe and healthy for everyone. Feel free to pass this message along.