New York American Water (NYAW) will begin flushing its water distribution system in Cedarhurst on May 3, 2021 as part of its spring water quality program. This is part of NYAW’s maintenance program to clear mineral deposits and sediment that may have built up inside the pipes. The flushing will continue through May 7, 2021.
NYAW has provided the following suggestions while the flushing program is underway:
- Draw water for cooking ahead of time and store a large bottle of water in the refrigerator for drinking.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher.
- In some cases, slight water discoloration may linger for a few hours. NYAW says that this discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect the water quality.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been complete, check faucet screens for trapped particles.
- If laundry becomes stained, do not put it in the dryer. Rewash clothes immediately using a heavy-duty detergent and add a rust remover. While you may be tempted to use bleach to remove stains, don’t! Bleach contains chlorine which will actually make stains worse as it will oxidize the iron upon contact and the stain will never come out.
- Rust removers can also be used to remove iron stains from sinks, tubs and toilets. Again, do not use bleach. The chlorine will “set” the stain on contact.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact New York American Water at 1-877-426-6999. You can also visit their website by going to www.newyorkamwater.com.