New York American Water (NYAW) has started flushing its water distribution system as part of its spring water quality program. This is part of NYAW’s maintenance program to clear mineral deposits and sediment that may have built up inside the pipes. The flushing will continue through April 18th.
NYAW has provided the following suggestions while the flushing program is underway:
- Draw water for cooking ahead of time and store a large bottle of water in the refrigerator for drinking.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher.
- If laundry becomes stained, do not put your laundry in the dryer. Rewash clothes immediately using a heavy-duty detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight water discoloration may linger for a few hours. NYAW says that this discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect the water quality.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been complete, check faucet screens for trapped particles.
For more information on New York American Water’s flushing program, please visit www.newyorkamwater.com.