With the upcoming storm expected to hit the Northeast, it looks as though Long Island will be spared from the so-called “bomb cyclone” which is expected to bring heavy snow. However, we still expect to be hit with some nasty weather on Saturday, especially strong gusting winds, together with light snow and below freezing temperatures. This will result in dangerous walking and driving conditions. Please stay in, or be very careful if you must venture out.
Please be cautious and remember:
- Avoid unnecessary outdoor activities. Falling tree limbs and other wind-blown debris can cause serious injuries or death. The safest place to weather the storm is indoors.
- Remove any loose objects outside, such as lawn furniture, planters, portable BBQ’s and empty garbage cans to a safer location, or secure them.
- If you lose power call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Emergency number: 1-800-490-0075 or text “OUT” to PSEGLI (773454).
- Any downed wire should be treated as though it is a live wire. Therefore, do not approach or drive over it, or touch anything it’s contacting.
- Report a downed wire immediately to 911 or call PSEG at 1-800-490-0075. Do not text or email PSEG for downed wires. Doing that only slows down the response.
- In an EMERGENCY, call 911. For fire and medical emergencies only, you can also call the Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department at 516-569-4411.